Friday, February 4, 2011

The Super Bowl

I enjoy watching the Super Bowl each year. Wife doesn't think it's a "Sunday appropriate" activity, which is ironic considering her father once witnessed its splendor in person. Of course her father now says that it was a poor choice that he wouldn't make again - which is probably easy to say once you've had to opportunity to attend, but I digress...

Wife can't understand why I want to watch the Super Bowl when I generally don't watch and/or follow NFL football throughout the regular season (I'm more of a NCAA football guy). I don't really see her point. We both enjoy watching the Olympics when neither of us watch figure skating in the off-season(s). We're not avid bobsled or luge fans, except every four years. She used the same reasoning when she didn't understand why I wanted to watch the World Cup.

It's not about following a team or sport all the way through the regular season to the finals. It's about participating in a cultural experience. It's about watching something that 100 million other people (1/3 of the US population) are watching at the same time. It's about watching athletes perform at the top of their game. It's about commercials and food. It's about recalling the best and worst plays with friends days and weeks later.

Earlier in our marriage, when Super Bowl Sunday came around, I'd do my best to feed her turkey and convince her to take a Sunday afternoon nap with me. As soon as she fell asleep, I'd tiptoe out to the TV and watch the game. Last year I went to a friend's house and watched it there. This year I'm planning a little party with some guys from church. The party will not be at my apartment (obviously), which is a shame since we've got a nice 47" TV, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Until I come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment