Thursday, February 24, 2011

Strangers Like Me

"Like" as in "similar to," not as in "appreciate." People I know don't even like me, there's no way strangers do.

So I was on Google the other day and I wondered if this blog had been indexed yet. So I searched for "reflections of a stay-at-home dad" and I found this guy:

http://www.lazyhousehusband.com/

It's a pretty funny blog, but he doesn't post very often. I guess with three kids he's probably a bit busier than I am. "Potty Train Your Toddler In 1 To 3 Days" is classic though. I think I'll try it with baby.

I then searched for: stay-at-home dad blog, without any quotation marks. I found a number of sites:

www.rebeldad.com - This looks like it may have been awesome back in the day, but the more recent posts are not entertaining and way too long to read.

www.sillydad.com - This one is covered with ads. I understand the desire to make money from a blog - it's the ultimate form of lazy. But at some point there are just too many ads to make the blog appealing to look at (and I start hearing Reel Big Fish "Sell Out" whenever I load the page). That's what happened to seriouslysoblessed. Also, this dude has not blogged in over a year.

www.stayathometripletdad.blogspot.com - This blog format is a bit busy, but it's funny. And he posts super often.

http://wwwstayathomedad.blogspot.com/ - This guy is definitely from Great Britain. I suspect that the lazyhousehusband is as well. Why? The use of "Mum" and "Mummy." This guy hasn't blogged since November.

http://piratesandpears.com/Blog/ - Other than not being able to read his blog's title, I like this blog. It's by a guy in Salt Lake that doesn't like Utah (or seems not to). I can appreciate that. Also, he's blogged recently.

Evidently there's a whole online community of us at www.athomedad.org. It features different dad blogs and forums for discussion. Cool. I don't know that I'll spend much time there, but I can see how it would be helpful for some people. My stay-at-home fatherhood is a temporary situation, so I'll take a pass on the support groups.

So did I ever find this blog on Google? Yes, by searching for "confessions of a bad dad" in quotation marks. It's on the first page. I'm sure glad to be defined by that phrase.

Also, to make the blogger domain more memorable (and uniform with the masses of stay-at-home dads), I changed it from svensview to stayathomesven, which you'll already know if you're reading this. So now it's at:

http://stayathomesven.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment