Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Wife's Mountain West Burrito Review

Three months ago I visited Mountain West Burrito and reviewed it here. After that post and a subsequent post, my wife really wanted to try it. Last week we finally got around to visiting it again and I will now post our experience.

Like last time, we were greeted by a super friendly owner who brought our food to our table within a few minutes of us ordering. He also brought us free chips and salsa, which was awesome. I got the regular deluxe steak burrito, my wife got the regular chicken burrito and we got a plain cheese quesadilla for baby.

Like last time, the restaurant was spotless and the food tasted really fresh. There was still something missing though in the taste, and my wife was able to put it into words. She described the beans, rice, chicken, and cheese as combining to create a delicious wrap, but that the burrito itself didn't taste like Mexican food. I have to agree. I love the way that Mountain West Burrito uses fresh ingredients to create tasty wraps - but I wouldn't say that it's good Mexican food. But I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert on Mexican food. There is a common taste between Beto's, Cafe Rio, Maria Bonita, and El Azteca (local Mexican places I enjoy), and I don't recognize that taste in food from Mountain West Burrito. Maybe if they marketed themselves as a wrap shop instead of a Mexican place, I could get behind their food a little more.

Again, I am not an expert on Mexican food, I can only compare Mountain West Burrito to other Mexican restaurants in the area. My brother lived in Mexico for two years though, so he knows a thing or two about Mexican food. So in the next few weeks (or months), I will take him to Mountain West Burrito to get his opinion. And then I'll post his impression here.

No comments:

Post a Comment